10 January, 2010

Start As You Mean To Continue

Well it's 2010 and every idiot and their brother is talking about it being the start of a new decade. So much for the power of a public school education. Last time I checked there were ten year in a decade, not nine. Same thing happened with the millenium, but that was all confused by the whole y2k microsoft/computer calendar issue. Anyway, welcome to the Last Year of the decade. Hope it's started well for you.
We went away for about a week to spend time with my folks and visit with friends in the Waikato. It was nice to get away, even if it was very tight with the finances and the accommodations. We are back home now and really feeling the need to make a move. This house is very small and with three kids now it feels even more tightly packed than it was before. Add to that the fact that Christi and I both want to be able to do things for which we have NO room here, and we want to be closer to our friends to the South, we are seriously considering moving in that direction. Trouble is I need to find a job first or we simply will be living off government help and unable to do much of anything.

So. The job situation is in a bit of a state of flux at the moment too. I have applied for the supervisor's position at my present company, but there have been 40 other applications as well, and while I get on well with the owner and have proven myself to be capable and able to learn and adapt to new situations, I think my chances of getting the job are slim to none. Even though I actually do 90% of the job now when the current supervisor is away. The primary reason is that I only have 3 months experience in the Liquor Department and I know the boss is looking for more than that in the replacement. Tomorrow I will be asking what is happeneing. The reason I need to know tomorrow is that I have been offered another job. I applied for it on Friday, just on the off chance that it would be possible. It is with a local liquor shop, so no more travelling to the North Shore to work. The shop doesn't open till 10 am so I would be able to do school runs in the morning, meaning that Christi won't have to pack up the baby to go to school, waking him up and breaking his sleep patterns. The hours are flexible, but there will be both weekend and late night work. The Manager has already said I will get extra training and a pay increase with the completion of that training. I will soon be earning a little more than I am now, but will also basically be trained up to manage the whole store when the manager isn't there. Add to that the fact that it is owned by a large corporation with opportunities to move to other areas and positions within the company and it starts to look very attractive indeed.

Tomorrow I will hopefully know what is happening, but at least I am moving forward either way it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment